Tuesday, July 07, 2009

Goodbye...

I first saw him over at someone's house at a dinner party. I remember the first thing I noticed about him was his voice, his style. He was singing a song. And I found myself singing along with the simple lyrics. It's what they call, love at first hear. I went to sleep that night with a tune on my lips and a smile on my face.

People told me he was a bit odd. And maybe they were right. He did look different from anyone else I had seen- With his long wavy hair tied loosely at the back, his big buttoned flashy jackets and his thin frame. But what did I care. I loved the way he sang. I loved what he sang. And most of all, I loved the way my feet would start tapping away almost involuntarily each time I heard him 'do his thing'.

A few days later, I spotted his picture in the local news papers. I remember getting a pair of scissors and very carefully cutting it out. I decided that I had been sufficiently impressed to openly profess my liking. And so up it went, the grainy black-and-white newpaper cut-out picture, on my cupboard. I didn't realise then what this small action would mean for me. Everyone around started ridiculing me, laughing at me with an indulgent smile. A wink here, a nudge there. But again, what did I care.

One of the 'nudgers', seeing the grainy newspaper cut-out, decided that I had to have a better picture to focus my adulation on. And that's how I got my first (and only) proper picture of him. And a very handsome picture too-Tousled up hair in that trademark ponytail, black pants, and a tucked-in white shirt, open just enough to show a peek of smooth chest. I put it up on the wall right across from my bed. And soon enough I started doing silly girlie things like wishing him (well the picture really) 'good night' everyday. But through all of this, it was still his singing that held sway over me. Each time I heard him, I would sing along, even memorize the words he sang and copy his moves.

And then, slowly, other things started occuying my mind, other people. And he got relegated to the back. And over time, even the picture got taken down. I moved on. Years passed. I occasionally heard snippets of his songs and smiled to myself, even tapped my feet. But I had changed. My tastes had changed. I liked others now. I heard less and less about him. Maybe I didn't care.

That is, until a few days back, when I read about his death in the news. And the memories came back. I played some of his songs and sang along to them (at the top of my voice)- My own little tribute to how brilliant he had been. And I realised then, that even though so much of time had passed since I was that 9 year old girl with his poster on the wall and a much obvious crush, I will miss him.I give thanks for the music he left behind and I really really hope that he is in a world much better than ours. Goodbye Michael.

Currently listening: Roulette- System of a down, Kuch Khaas- Fashion
Currently Reading- Myth=Mithya- Dr. Devdutt Patnaik

7 comments:

Chiranjib said...

Goodbye Michael :(

Ruchi said...

I have been through this time when you were so crazy about him. Remember you dancing really well on some of him songs as well :)

I know you adored him and we all adore him in our hearts. He was and always shall remain a legend!!

Matthew 7.7 said...

Sob sob...you made me cry :(

Fictional Reality said...

I was sad to hear of MJ. Too much potential. Too much tragedy.
By the way saw your reading list. I have met this gentleman Devdutt Patnaik.

88 said...

For me the death of MJ hasn't really sunk in. Its like the singer/performer I knew is not the same as the troubled guy that died.
Perhaps I dont that to taint those child/adulthood memories of him...

R.I.P
MJ

Miss M said...

I still can't believe he's gone!

Really. It seems very unreal, even today.


Btw, I LOVE your header pic! :)

Nimbupaani said...

Everyone: Yeap it's quite sad and he will be missed!

Fictional Reality: Really? U've met the Gentleman? How? where? I finished reading the book and I have to admit I am very intrigued by the subject. Would love to meet him myself!

Miss M: Oh Thank you! :-D Keep visiting!