Thursday, August 21, 2008

I am an Indian

Where are you from? I get asked this question a lot, mostly by taxi drivers. And usually I never reply straight away. I play this game where I turn the question on them. Where do you think I am from? I've gotten the most intriguing answers. Mostly it's Malaysian or Indonesian (Has everything to do with me being in Singapore and having chinki-ish eyes). Occasionally, I get called Thai or Nepali. One taxi driver was convinced I was European if not eastern European. I'd like to smoke whatever he was on.

But I digress. So as I was saying, in this funny little game I play, I rarely get called Indian. Most get very surprised when I reveal my nationality (Some in a Russell Peter's type 'Noooo' and other in demented Singlish- Cannot be lah!) And somehow that always gets me thinking about my indian-ness. Not questioning it, just thinking about it.

Growing up in Urban India, I was never confronted with questions about Indian-ness, mine or anyone else's. Everyone around was Indian. It was nothing new, nothing out of the ordinary. Differences emerged in other ways. The mallu who has relatives in 'Gelf' v/s the Gujjubhai who wants Dhokla for 'Snakes' , The Subramaniam who eats curd rice with his hands (and sometime the forearm too) v/s the Khanna who swears by his chole puri. What makes anyone different is the language they speak, the way they eat, what they eat, which state they come from and sometimes (sadly so) even where they pray. And as Indians, we usually revel in our differences, we very often poke fun at them, we sometimes fight over them, but we never let go of them.

And that is why, in India you can never be just an Indian. It is never enough. What use is that? It can't help anyone label you. You have to be a Gujarati or a Punjabi or a South-Indian (yeah that category gets lumped together) or a delhite or some equal denomination. You just have to be from somewhere. Somewhere Different.

But where does that leave me? I am a product of north and south-east indian intimacy. A Mumbaite in attitude and a Delhi-ite at heart. A lover of mooli parathas, paani puri and all things rassam. I speak comfortably in 3 different Indian languages besides Hindi but I think mostly in English. I appreciate the colors and beauty of a Hindu Temple as willingly as I take in the serenity of a church. I am equally likely to be found slurping curd rice from my hand as I am to be found enjoying spoonfuls of Rajma-Chawal. And now, add to all that- eating with chopsticks and speaking in Singlish. So what does that make me?

I say, it makes me an Indian. 100%. Nothing more, nothing less.

Currently Reading- Shalimar the Clown- Salman Rushdie
Currently Listening- Tum Pukar lo- Khamoshi, Little Boxes- Devendra Banhart, Karma Police- Radiohead

13 comments:

88 said...

For one, its Gelllfff (that’s right! 3 of each).

I kinda know where you’re coming from coz I have such a typically Anglicized name, its automatically assumed by anyone new I meet that I’m from Goa (hah.. how I wish!)
Course when I correct them, its almost like I lose points.

As far as the Gelllfff is concerned, its our motherland now… I think at last count more than 50% of my extended family was living in those parts lol

Unknown said...

You are hindustani girl :) no doubts about that !

Nimbupaani said...

Ok I accede to 'Your Malluness' on that point! U would obviously know better. So 'Gelllfff' it is!

And just in case you missed out on the buzz, Mallu-land is the new Goa. But I say, that is Insulting. To Malluland of course- The sights, the smells, the food, the backwaters and the people are awesome. Some of the most interesting and hottest people I know are mallus, so I shall run the risk of generalising and saying the reverse must be true too.

PS- Oh btw when I say Mallu-land, I mean Kerala, not the Gelllfff. That is always and only 'Gelllfff'.

Nimbupaani said...

Ruchi- Yeah I am 'Rani Hindustani'!(Bollywood? Raja hindustani? get it? eh? eh? Hmm...OK Bad joke!)

88 said...

Yup interesting and hot… that’s us. Not to mention modest too :D

Unknown said...

It's deep-rooted in us,I suppose.I too have gone thro the same thing and I love it when people can't guess and put me in a different category altogether-a blend of many different cultures ,looks and languages.I'd love to remain just a good human being!

Matthew 7.7 said...

I have an identitiy problem in India as well, I've been asked a couple of time whether I'm from SriLanka ... :), Mostly its got to do with my resemblance to Sivarasan when I have my patchy beard on. Anyways, I enjoyed your writing, no:1 because you are so good at it and no:2 I like the subject matter you chose to write. Now living in England, I get this questions shot at me many times and I've also played your little game, most of them said I was Indian, a few thought I could be from India or Pakistan, but none thought I was from Ravana-land. hmmmmm..interesting I wonder I resembl him now......And for more info about mallu land please follow the link.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFaeJhcOOt4

sung by a Mellu in the Gelf wearing pink lungi :)

Matthew 7.7 said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aCShcWz5XQ&feature=related

another educational link :)

Chaos said...

i wont criticize this one...u have written well..bravo !!

Nimbupaani said...

Donny: I think the identity problem changes depending on where you are. Suprisingly, now that I spend quite a lot of time in malaysia, I never get called Malaysian. Most just seem confused when asked to take a call on it. Thanks for the appreciation. keep reading n commenting!

And thanks for the educational links. They are totally awesome!! Mind if I put them on the main blog itself?

Chaos: Phew! Finally I meet your high standards!!! Thank you thank you!

Anonymous said...

Why boundaries are made ?

Nimbupaani said...

Hobo: Well I guess its natural instinct to form boundaries based on differences. And the differences dont always set people apart, sometimes they aggregate them. I guess what I am trying to say is that boundaries will always exist and sometimes thankfully too (I mean what else could give you that sense of identity)

What makes 'boundaries' tricky, though, is how seriously are they taken and what ends are they used to justify.

On another note, welcome to Nimbupaani! Hope it was refreshing...

Anonymous said...

Good post.