Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Pssst....

I think I have special powers. I can think multiple (and I mean like 100s and 1000s) thoughts all at the same time, in parallel. Yeah I know that's nothing fancy, nothing world-changing, nowhere in the league of the typical-colored-capes-underwear-over-tights-fighting-for-good-type people who have special powers. Infact its usually debilitating and distracting. Imagine my brain as divided into mutiple parts, each with a brain of its own, each thinking a number of thoughts of its own. Mostly it's a cacophony of thoughts. A fish market. Very distracting.

So what do you do when you are blessed/cursed with something like this? You say 'Thank God' for blogging and bulletpoints and take a mental dump. So here it comes. Brace yourself.

******

About a month back, on a bored tired evening on our way back from office, ML and I decided to go get our hair cut. Now that wouldn't have been anything to talk about except that we were in Bangkok, we did not know Thai, and we did not have any recommended place to go to. So strolling around in Central, we got into the first saloon we came across. A nice swanky, very chic looking plac where we first had our Hair washed and bundled up nicely in a towel. It was only when the hair dresser approached me did I miss having a English-to-thai dictionary. Still, ever the optimist, I placed my faith firmly in the power of sign language and gestured to her slowly - "Long hair good, short hair no good". I got a big smile and a nod in return and I sat back, happy that I had managed to get through to her.

So now my hair looks like Joe Dirt, only curlier. Am I traumatised? Hell yeah! Do I need therapy? Most certainly. Will I ever get a haircut again in a foreign land where I don't speak the language? *Grin* Probably. (I don't learn a lesson easily you see. I was never good at that.)

PS1: As for ML's haircut, she has had peculiar reactions. Everytime a camera is around she covers up her face. She says its because she wants absolutely no reminder whatsover of this cut hence no photos. I think it's much deeper than that.)
******

I had a Eureka moment a few weeks back. I figured out why india, the land of plenty and variety, has little to speak of when it comes to oil reserves. Its quite logical, really. Where does oil come from? Well million and millions of years ago organic lifeforms died and got buried in the layers of earth and decomposed. Through some mumbo-jumbo (involving pressure, time and the sediment around) this somehow resulted in the formation of pockets of oil and gas. We've all heard the Blah (8th grade? Science class?) But, (here's the clincher) Indians cremate their dead. They always have. Countries like Saudi Arabia on the other hand, have always buried their dead. And check out how much oil they have. Simple. Brilliant. Why hasnt anyone ever figured this out before?

PS2: I just realised, in cremating all that population, we not only missed out on all that oil, we also possibly have a big hand to play in the whole global warming thing. Shite!

PS3: Yes, I am usually more brilliant than this. Yes, I know this line of reasoning has huge gaping holes. No, I dont want to know about them.

******

Shoes. New Shoes. New heeled shoes. New heeled shoes that go clackity clack. They are quite addictive really. And they are having some positive psychological effects too. I almost feel like a power-woman when I am wearing them. My walk is springier, my day is brighter, my attitude is more up beat and the net result is that I get more work done, faster and better.

Hmmm. I suddenly feel like the baby who got to wear new squeak-squeak shoes only to end up doing more of what he didn't want to do in the first place (i.e.walk).

******

These days, I spend my days in the Petronas Towers in Kl (Doing things that are completely useless in the larger scheme of life, but that's another story). Now, they have a PA (Public announcement) system that they use every 3-4 days. Mostly they just test the system. So everytime the PA system comes alive, the lady always begins with 'Tuan Tuan dan Puan Puan' (I'd like to hear ur interpretations on that) and then goes on for 10 mins with equally gibberish words (malay apparantly). All this, while I am looking around feeling stupid and wondering if I should bolt to save my life or keep sitting on my chair staring dumbly at my screen. I sit on the 44th floor and in case I have to try and get all the way down, I sure would appreciate a head-start. I mean I have nothing against malayu or nationalistic sentiments but the last thing I want is to reach heaven thinking "If only I had understood malay..." People, English, pls!

******

So I have a 'hypothesis' on blogging. The more frequently a person blogs, the more detailed their posts are, that is not to say all the detail is useful, or interesting or consequential (Case in example: This post). Refer to graph below-

Yes. I am a nerd. And I revel in it. Usually.

******

So there, you've been dumped (on). How does it feel?

Currently Reading: Lonely Planet France
Currently Listening: Sick cycle carousel- Lifehouse, Ahista Ahista- Bachna Ae Haseeno

9 comments:

88 said...

hah! love the graph... put up something vaguely similar on my last post :)

Nimbupaani said...

Intriguing.... The guy who claims to be math challenged, likes the nerdy-mathy thing in my post!!

Anonymous said...

Hmm,interesting journey through your mind's thoroughfare!I think ur thoughts are already filtered!I mean you have put a toll-gate for useless worrying thoughts and only thinking big and positive.

Anonymous said...

Hmm,interesting journey through your mind's thoroughfare!I think ur thoughts are already filtered!I mean you have put a toll-gate for useless worrying thoughts and only thinking big and positive.

Nimbupaani said...

Hello there :-D
My first ever anonymous comment...

well you said it urself, worrying thoughts are useless. But just to get it clear, the filtering (if at all it is happening) is not conscious. We don't sensor here. No mister, we r not about that. Atleast we like to believe.

88 said...

hey! you got your "first" too :D

what i like is the effort that you put into it. drew the graph, snapped the pic offa the mobile and then posting it.

yeah you are a nerd :)

Chaos said...

i have some comments and questions on ur dumps...

1. thinking thousand things at the same time...sounds more of a plain jane (read WOMAN) than a super human to me...every woman does tht

2. Can we have the photos of the hair cut pls?

3. Thank God u were not in my science class!

4. Wot abt all the pain in the legs after wearing heels for an entire day?

5. u have pretty handwriting...seriously..

Nimbupaani said...

Chaos:

1) No, but, but....Damn! you burst my bubble! Here I was feeling all special n all.Grrr...

2) U saw the photo. wts the verdict?

3) Umm well, only if you don't count computer science as science class. I think I do. So yes I was in your science class and you probably have nothing to thank god for.

4) I belong to the exalted female species. We are born with special pain resistance- To High Heels, to painful waxing strips, to threads which pluck eyebrows and (the baap of it all) to life forms coming out of orifices obviously too small for the job!

5) Awww thank you. I guess filling lines and lines of handwriting books for holiday homework paid off.

Chaos said...

2. verdict is...i would prefer to be a jerk !!